Friday, June 6, 2008

Stormy summer

I think I've had about 50 NOAA weather warnings filling my email over the past couple of days. Wednesday was the worst, with all the tornado warnings, then flood warnings, then road closures (fallen trees and power lines), then school closings, and now heat warnings. Wasn't it only a few weeks ago that I was still putting the kids in long pants and jackets to go to daycare? And now I'm trying to figure out how to get from the front door to my truck without breaking a sweat?

We survived the storms surprisingly well. Minimal power outages at home, daycare remained open (with power and a 'shelter in place' drill), a few detours to get to/from work. Internet/email went down in my office yesterday morning (right after I got there) and was still down this morning (which I found out by going to work). Rather annoying that they couldn't notify people of this in advance (most people can get to email through the web), but at least I could tell a few people and save them the time/gas. Hey, I guess I did a good deed today!! Go me :-)

And now, here comes the heat. The plants/grass are already looking brown and droopy even though they should have gotten enough rain the other day to last a month. Well, as long as the storms stay away, we should be able to find some relief in the pool this weekend. And find out which pools get crowded first!!

Stay cool...

No comments:

Post a Comment