Monday, August 11, 2008

When I grow up...

I remember in elementary school--maybe first or second grade--instead of the usual ho-hum school pictures, they took them in the theme of "what do you want to be when you grow up?" The choices were very limited--doctor, nurse, fireman, etc.--and I ended up with a big question mark behind my head. Do I look like someone who could be limited by choices, especially at the ripe old age of 7??

I love observing my kids and wondering what they will be when they grow up and if I can predict that now. I doubt my parents had any idea I would be what I am and that I would have the confidence (nerve) to tell people off when I need to, albeit in a politically correct manner.

I wonder if Evan will be some sort of sports commentator, since he talks a mile a minute, narrating constantly, and sometimes answering his own question within the question--"Mommy why does the school bus turn on its orange blinker to let other cars know when it's waiting to turn into my school?" Umm...how do you answer that one??

On an afternoon at the beach, I can see where Eric could become a bossy boss (and how quickly I turn into a subservient employee) and Evan will go around critiquing other people's work.

This weekend Eric was 'walking' some of his animals, so maybe he'll be a vet or dog walker or even the next dog whisperer?


And then today he announces to me "Mommy? I Batman!" I have no idea how a backwards hat and Diego sunglasses turn him into Batman, but as long as the chair was the highest thing he was trying to fly off of (and by fly, I mean sliding feet first), I'm not going to tell him :-)


So there you have it...a range of talents and passions and many many years until I see what they turn into...

1 comment:

  1. wait...you can tell people off in a politically correct way?

    ReplyDelete