Thursday, October 11, 2007

Soup and sandwiches

At some point yesterday, I realized I forgot to take the pork chops out of the freezer for dinner. Not the greatest day to forget, since Ethan I both have late afternoon meetings on Wednesdays, but oh well. After a quick cabinet/fridge survey, I decide on grilled cheese sandwiches and chicken noodle soup. Ethan was stuck in traffic, so the boys and I started without him.

This is the first time we've had soup since Eric figured out the spoon, so I give him a regular bowl with noodles and broth (used to just give him the noodles). He starts out well, but then gets silly and ends up with more soup on him than in him. Evan and I decide to teach him the trick of dipping your sandwich in the soup (I personally think it's kind of gross, but Ethan and Evan do it, so whatever). Eric enjoys this game, except instead of taking a bite of the sandwich, he just sucks on it before re-dipping it into the soup, so this gets messy quickly.

After a few minutes, Eric decides this is not the most effective method of eating and, before I can stop him, he dumps the bowl of soup on top of the sandwich. I manage to react fast enough to get the soup back in the bowl and the now completely soaked sandwich back on the plate., but have clearly lost control at the dinner table. Eric spends the next 5 minutes poking holes into the mushy sandwich.

I try a different tactic, cutting up an apple and giving slices to both boys, even though Evan has barely eaten his soup. I turn back to the table to find Eric happily dipping his apple in, you guessed it, the soup.

Maybe next time we'll just order pizza :-)

3 comments:

  1. Yeah - Tommy does the same thing with his cereal. He eats it at school with MINIMAL mess (I asked) but at home - wears more of it than he eats. I just skip cereal and milk all together. Chicken soup requires the mop at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how MEN think they can introduce something and not have it taken across EVERYTHING.

    Like my dad and dipping Oreo cookies and milk with Aubrey... Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made Tommy grilled cheese and chicken soup for dinner tonight...he ate two HUGE bowls of noodles (the soup) and threw the grilled cheese on the floor!

    ReplyDelete