Monday, January 28, 2008

Oh yes, again

Evan has pneumonia. Again. And it took way longer to diagnose it this time than it did the last time. After another semi-sleepless night and watching his fever skyrocket to over 104 (and then come back down to 99 after Motrin), we headed off to the doctor at 7:30 to fight our way through the mob when the doors open at 8. Okay, there were only 2 people ahead of us, so it wasn't all that bad. Our least favorite nurse came in and was her usual frustrating self (she was complaining how Evan wasn't breathing properly so she couldn't really tell if his lung was blocked--hello, he's 4 and there's only so many ways a person can breathe!). Finally sent us for a chest x-ray which is in the same building, and then back to the pediatrician waiting room to wait for the results with a lot of other sick kids. And we wait. And wait.

At some point, while laying across my lap, Evan starts gagging and I drag him out of the room and nearly run over a (different) nurse in the process. She forgave me as he started puking into a toilet half a second after I put him down in front of it. Oh, fun.

We finally get back to the original nurse and the x-ray wasn't really conclusive...could be pneumonia, or could just be a virus aggravated by asthma. So she wants to take blood. And Evan was very good and didn't cry, even though he thought he was going to. And we wait. Evan falls asleep sitting in my lap in an extremely uncomfortable chair.

Finally the nurse comes in with a pile of prescriptions--his white count was pretty high, so she's going with the pneumonia diagnosis and sends us home with the Z-pack and some inhalers. Whew.

Checkout took way longer than should even be possible with a very frustrating woman who I'm sure doesn't like me any more than I like her since I wasn't being very patient with her stupidity. In all fairness though, we had been at the doctor's for almost 4 hours at this point and Evan was laying on the floor in the middle of the reception area, even though I kept picking him up and dragging him against the wall.

CVS, McDonalds, back home for lunch and a nap, and now tucked in with the Jungle Book.



  1. Oh my goodness! I am so sorry for that horrible no good morning! But I am glad there are drugs and some down time.


  2. Aww poor little guy-- and poor you! Hope he's feeling better soon!

  3. 4 hours at the Dr's office?! That, in itself, earns Mommy some GOOD wine tonight! I hope the meds work FAST! Hope you're both feeling better SOON

  4. awwww, poor little guy. hope he feels better soon!!